Run the test
- Go to Gibson Research Corporation's website at: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
- Once the Welcome to Shields UP! page loads, click either of the two Proceed buttons.
- On the resulting page whose URL starts https://www.grc.com, click the orange button titled GRC's Instant UPnP Exposure Test.
- After a few seconds, you should see one of the three results:
- ACTIVELY REJECTED OUR UPnP PROBES! (Green text on a green background)
- DID NOT RESPOND TO OUR UPnP PROBES! (Green text on a green background)
- DID RESPOND TO OUR UPnP PROBES! (Red text on a yellow background)
- If the scan returns a result in green text, you are not at risk. No further action is needed. You're done.
- If the scan returns a result in red text DID RESPOND TO OUR UPnP PROBES!, Disable UPnP in DSL Modems. Additional helpful information appears below the DID RESPOND message on the Shields UP! website.
- After disabling UPnP, run the test again. If the scan still gives the DID RESPOND result, please contact OlympusNet.
Additional Information About the Alert
US-CERT, the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team, advises all users to manually disable UPnP in their devices' administrative settings. Links to the US-CERT vulnerability notices may be found at: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/357851 and http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/922681